The Organization for Science, Education, and Observatory (OSEO) in Meru District, Tanzania is the governing body and operator of the Mt. Meru Astronomical Observatory. OSEO has since 2014 its formation in 2014 worked with Telescopes to Tanzania, a project of Astronomers Without Borders, to develop, construct, and manage the physical observatory and now its operational telescopes and educational facilities.
Vision and Mission
The Organization for science education and Observatory envisions a society where science and technology is ingrained in the attitudes of its people and their development.
The Organization for Science Education and Observatory is an NGO which aims to develop and attract Tanzanians interest, curiosity and love for science as one of the basic tools for technology driven development.
The main objective of the Organization for Science Education and Observatory is to promote the love of science education and astronomy among as many teachers and students as possible in Tanzania.
- To conduct astronomical and science training for as many teachers and students as possible within Tanzania.
- To integrate astronomy in the teaching curriculum as outlined in the national syllabus.
- To develop and disseminate hands on science and astronomy teaching resources.
- To create a model science laboratory and observatory with telescopes and computers, a portable planetarium, internet capacity and global connections to other observatories around the world.
- To serve as an equatorial dark sky observing centre.